About Daniel J. O’Hern Jr.
Mr. O’Hern is a partner in the firm and a lifelong resident of Monmouth County. Mr. O’Hern concentrates his practice in the areas of Civil Litigation, with an emphasis on business related litigation, Estate Planning and Administration, Municipal Law and Land Use Law.
As a civil litigator, Mr. O’Hern has a broad range of experience representing clients in business litigation matters in the New Jersey State and Federal Courts. He has handled cases for several Fortune 500 type clients including Nortel Networks, DuPont, Johnson & Johnson, BMW, General Motors, Cendant, Aetna and Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey and Jordache Enterprises. Mr. O’Hern has significant experience in the areas of commercial law and business torts, including breach of contract claims, copyright infringement, investigation and litigation of business fraud, actions under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, ERISA, partnership disputes, breach of warranty claims under the UCC, non-compete agreements, theft of trade secrets, franchise and distributorship disputes, landlord/tenant disputes, and the prosecution and defense of collection actions.
Mr. O’Hern also has expertise in the representation of automobile dealerships, including the defense of consumer complaints brought under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and the Federal Truth and Lending Act. He has also represented dealerships in the defense of class action claims.
In his land use practice, Mr. O’Hern represents clients before zoning and planning boards. Mr. O’Hern also has experience litigating land use/development disputes, including substantial experience with the New Jersey Redevelopment Statute. In the seminal case involving the City of Asbury Park’s Waterfront Redevelopment Plan, Mr. O’Hern was co-lead counsel for the Master Developer and successfully argued the appeal that affirmed the legality of the Plan.
In the area of estate planning, Mr. O’Hern is experienced in the preparation of various estate planning documents such as wills, trusts, life insurance trusts, powers of attorney and living wills.
Mr. O’Hern served as the Municipal Attorney for the Borough of Red Bank from 2011 through 2015, and presently serves as Red Bank’s Tax Appeal counsel.
- New Jersey, 1991
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1991
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 2014
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Cum Laude, 1991
- Fairfield University, BA Economics, 1983
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Borough of Little Silver, Council Member, 2009-2017
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth Bar Foundation, 2015-Present
- District IX (Monmouth County) Fee Arbitration Committee
- District IX ( Monmouth County) Attorney Ethics Committee, 2006-2010
- Essex County Attorney Ethics Committee 2001-2003
- Red Bank Regional Education Foundation, Former Member